Kreutz Creek is a vibrant congregation growing in mission, in faith and in members.
No special skill or status is required to participate in the fellowship of the congregation.
Kreutz Creek Presbyterian Church is a member of the Donegal Presbytery
and the Presbyterian Church USA
A Brief History...
Historic Kreutz Creek Church began life as a humble ministry in a log cabin in the first settlement west of the Susquehanna River in the early 1700’s. A warrant from John and William Penn was issued for 50 acres to Martin Schultz, Jacob Weltzhoffer, Henry Smith and George Ament, “In trust for the use of the German & Reformed Congregation.”
The original Union Church was limestone, built in the late 1700’s, then outgrown and torn down to make way for the present brick church built in 1860. In 1860 the York County Start and Wrightsville Advertiser reported that the materials to erect a new church were deposited at the site of the old church for building in the spring. It was also reported in May that the contractor was William Wiser. The price for construction was $3,400. In October 1860 the York Gazette described the building as “a neat and commodious brick edifice surrounded by a handsome cupola in which hangs a fine toned cast steel bell – the same that was on exhibit at our county fair. The interior of the church is nearly finished and has a gallery on the three sides.”
The historical survey of 1988 records the church’s octagonal belfry with wind vane and front façade Greek Revival. The double leaved door with entablature is another Greek revival element. Brick pilasters accent the foundation corners and a delicate dentil molding adorns the eaves on north and south elevations. The interior also has much of its early charm and ambience. Some of the primary retained accents include the original stenciling above the dropped ceiling, the plank floors and the pews.
The thoughtful congregation is to be commended for their caretaking of this one of a kind treasure, which has been kept in such pristine condition and integrity. Since this church played and continues to play a pivotal role in Hellam’s history, we must cherish and embrace it.
- From the April, 2010 issue of the Kreutz Creek Valley Preservation Society newsletter